Monday, September 7, 2026

Windy & Wet Weekend!


To say our weather for the past three days has been wet, windy & miserable.....is an understatement!  And a couple more days of wet & cold are in the forecast!!  

First thing to happen....the wood pellet stove has been called into active duty....with temperatures dipping into the single digits....a warm fire was needed....

Mr. Seventies plans to set the pool to drain & take in the pump....leaves & debris have blown into the pool....and we didn't have the outside furniture covers secured tightly....one chair & the love seat cushions....are soaked (the covers blew off)....you'd think we were newbies to living here!!

I spent a full morning packing up winter clothes & getting out our winter wear......"sweater weather" has arrived!!

Clancy Mae has been a trooper tho....she doesn't mind the rain much...it's the wind she is not a fan of! (me either)....a number of homes were without power for a few hours....I was surprised ours didn't go out....

In other news....this happened early one morning! Notice anything different about the microwave over the range?


I had used it a few minutes prior....and then noticed....the clock wasn't lit up....and when I opened the door....no light...after checking the breaker....that meant only one thing....


It went kaput!  We purchased this one in 2018....have you noticed our appliances now have short life spans now?  My parents had them for decades before they needed replacing!!  Gone are those days!!  

Mr. Seventies got to work removing it....while I was searching local stores online for ones carrying them in stock!  Usually, ordering is required....and you wait for the item to arrive....


Half the battle of doing an install....is getting the template correctly in place...we were able to use the previous one....you can see where the opening is for venting outside...(since the microwave is a range hood also....above the counter top range)......

I'm happy to report Home Depot had three of this model in stock....I ordered online & within an hour we were able to pick it up at the store.....

Daughter was on hand to help with the install....but our neighbour was called upon for stronger manpower....and he & Mr. Seventies were able to get it in place.....


This model has a rack .....first model for us like this....(this is our third microwave/range vent combo).....I thought the dishwasher would be the next appliance to go.....shush...don't let it hear me....


So that's always a fun, unexpected pleasure....we dropped the old one off at our recycling depot, along with a few batteries and paint cans with a bit of paint left in them.....

In other news....before the wet weather arrived....we spent a day with grand daughter & Clancy Mae in Summerside...first stop was Kool Breeze greenhouse....Mr. Seventies was on the hunt for a potted fall mum.....

Since this colour is new to us....he & grand daughter chose it for the front step....the common colours are orange, yellow or a deep burgundy....this pretty pinkish one is so pretty....


A whole wardrobe available for Miss Giddy Goose is sold in the gift shop....how adorable is this Thanksgiving outfit...hard to resist....


I have a couple of Hallowe'en outfits....grand daughter chose the Santa Claus outfit....although the gingerbread one was adorable as well....and the "angel" set in the centre is so cute.....

Now Miss Giddy Goose will be ready for the upcoming holiday season....


Had to chuckle when I saw this tin sign....


There were beautiful fall displays outside....these annuals are called celosia .....aren't they pretty?


There were a few pumpkins on site....I find them a bit on the small side....we have about five I can see in our garden....still green...we need sun so they will grow & mature....


Sadly, I have not had one hydrangea bloom this year....I don't know if we had too much rain & too little sun....we have two & neither bloomed ...they are alive & well....just no blooms....these ones are gorgeous at Kool Breeze.....


I see many of these around our neighbourhood....they seem to be plentiful.....we have one this colour and a blue one.....fingers crossed for next year....


After we had lunch....picnic style since we had Clancy Mae with us...we stopped at Willow Bakery...grand daughter enjoyed a delicious iced gingerbread man....while I picked up a few of their infamous cream cheese iced cinnamon buns!!  (Mr. Seventies favourite).  

The corn in the garden took a terrible beating this weekend with the winds....when it stops raining Mr. Seventies will assess & hopefully they will stand up again.....

I had planned to start decorating for fall & Hallowe'en....having hoped the glass in the family room window would be replaced by now.  I called the glass place & was advised the installer who came to measure in July...would call me.  (this was middle of last week).  I've not heard anything yet....I'll try again this week.

And before I forget....it's a long weekend....stores & services here are closed for the day.....


Schools & buses will be rolling herentomorrow....always a busy time of year!  My friend & I have a trip to the mainland planned for early October....we're looking forward to a day of shopping & lunch.....

Be sure to& join me later today for blog parties over at https://betweennapsontheporch.net/ for Metamorphosis Monday and again tomorrow at https://www.myslicesoflife.com/ for Talking About It Tuesdays.....

As always, sincere thanks for spending a bit of your time with me today....I so appreciate it!!

Til next time.....


10 comments:

  1. Happy Labour Day! Glad you survived your rainy, windy weekend with just a few mishaps. The pink mums are very pretty. Have a great week. Hugs, Elaine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Labour Day to you as well, Elaine!! It's still raining...and not quite as windy....for today & tomorrow!! Have a great week as well, my friend!!

      Delete
  2. I feel your pain about your microwave. Ours was replaced in 2023, but we could not find an exact fit so had to use trim from old microwave which doesn’t exactly match. Drives me crazy! Wish you could send some of your rain and cooler temperatures our way. Others within a few miles have been inundated, but zilch for us. Enjoy your Labour Day holiday. RHill, TX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had a problem with the fit of our latest wall oven....Mr. Seventies...working with our neighbour contractor for 10 years - knew to put a few shims on the bottom....out of sight! Worked perfect. Like you...I was not happy with the alternative! Would that I could send you some rain...I surely would. I'd even deliver it...lol!!

      Delete
  3. Charlotte, it sounds like an interesting week that you had. Glad you got the microwave sorted out. The fall flowers are so pretty and the pink mums are gorgeous. We have been very rainy here too - I've lost track of how many days in a row now. But happy for you that the wind didn't do too much damage. Happy Labour Day to you as well, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It cleared off earlier & is raining again! Could use a few days of sun! Have an awesome week, my friend!

      Delete
  4. Goodness, here in Chicagoland, we just finally have temps under the 80's. But then you are so far north...but we have had the same rain...crazy amounts after 4-5 years of drought to severe drought., Yes, appliances don't last! Sandi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sandi!! We are quite a bit further north....especially from Chicagoland! Last summer we had a crazy drought....and this year it has rained since April!! Agree....appliances don't last like they used to!!

      Delete
  5. Sorry to hear about your microwave; we do seem to go through appliances pretty darn fast around here too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true! They don’t last like they use to!

      Delete