Followers

Thursday, January 21, 2021

Kitchen Re-Fresh

 It's been a while since I've shared kitchen photos...and I've spent some time decluttering cabinets, cleaning...and organizing.  Mr. Seventies loves playing the game "Where has she moved things to now?"  

As a reminder...this kitchen is all of nine feet wide...and that's from one wall to the other....not from cabinet to cabinet.  It's what I call a "one bum kitchen"".... get more than one person working in there...and you are just in each other's way....



When this seventies split was built....in 1973..... there was little to no thought put into kitchen design or a kitchen for that matter.  Not sure if the builder ran out of funds or what happened...but there was only an eight foot stretch of plywood cabinets...take out space for a double sink...and called it a kitchen.  All this area...where the wall oven, range, sink and dishwasher are now housed...was blank.  Nothing but empty...bare wall and floor space....

Can you believe the sun was shining in when I took this photo?  Glorious sun....as it rises on the north side of the house...


This is the opposite side...across from the sink area...I keep Liesel's food bin and treat jar at easy reach...


I still love these cabinets...and worked with a kitchen designer to lay out the details.  At that time...I had a strict budget...and granite was not in that budget.  Fast forward a few years...and one stormy day in March the granite installers arrived...and I was in heaven with new counter top...and then a new tile back splash was installed.  The previous backsplash I had chosen...was a last minute decision at the time...so I quickly chose black tiles.  I was happy to see them removed...as they did darken down the space....

Where Liesel's crate sits...is where the previous eight feet of cupboard sat...and the sink was under that very window....


All the appliances have been replaced in the last few years...some a couple of times...with the exception of the refrigerator....and it is the one appliance I am patiently waiting for it to stop working.  Please.  I want a double door with the freezer section on the bottom model...and yet I cannot justify purchasing a new one until this tug dies.  Whoever said appliances don't last forever...please introduce yourself to this one.  

There was a piece of cabinetry that was planned for installation over the fridge....so it would look nicer...and would not show the top...but why deny me the pleasure of continually dusting there?  
I'll measure much more carefully when the time comes...



I am so happy with my table and benches.  Confession time...we have never....ever...had a meal at that table yet.  We keep saying we are going to...but in the summer...we eat most meals outside...and winter...we love to be warm by the pellet stove....and family holiday meals and birthday celebrations are usually spent at our daughter's home...

Also in this photo...where the pantry sits...is where the previous stove and refrigerator were stuck.  This kitchen is twenty two feet long....from end to end...it was very much like a bowling alley.  Oh the days I spent dreaming of having a "real" kitchen.  And we had to work with the space we had...
The wicker basket on the floor...stores our hats, gloves, mittens...and Liesel's wraps and sweaters.  Handy for heading out the back door..




Every Christmas I received a wire dachshund calendar...it is my absolute favourite.  I don't have to wait for a month with a wire dachshund photo....every month has adorable wire photos!!    How cute are these January wire puppies?



And that's my kitchen.  One thing I truly love is the amount of storage space the cabinets provide...although with decluttering....some sit empty.  And I'm committed to keeping them that way.  

Thank you for tagging along on my kitchen tour.  It's cold again here today.   Stay warm if it's cold where you are!!






No comments:

Post a Comment