Followers

Monday, March 8, 2021

Two Rooms Painted-Lots More To Do!

The kitchen and family room now sport fresh coats of paint!  I'm not going to share photos just yet...we are a long way from completion..and most door casings and base boards have been removed.  Feels like we are living like we did when we first married...when we had very little...but at least now it's a choice.  A pre-painting pic...before the tv was taken down.

One thing we are loving is opening the shutters fully & letting glorious light and sun in...our plan is to not barricade the window again with furniture.  We ordered new magnetic closures for these shutters...as a couple were broken and no longer working. And all the windows casings will require fresh paint beforehand.   It will take about a week or ten day for them to arrive.  

We moved the dish cabinet to a different corner & since it is empty, I spent an afternoon waxing and buffing it along with the end tables and wooden lamp bases.   I will say it will be nice to sit on "real" furniture again...as opposed to the patio pieces....


After struggling to find a suitable chair...I decided to add the matching chair to the leather sofa...it may not be delivered this week with the sofa...as it is coming from their warehouse.  I still need to find a second suitable chair...as we do require more seating...and a love seat is not an option...


We spent some time going through the various choices of wood casings and base board at a local woodworking shop...and we've chosen some gorgeous trims.  Kicking myself for not taking photos...I was caught up with all the choices!  This company manufactures their own wood pieces...and wood as I'm sure you are likely aware...is at a premium right now,  With Covid restrictions and a surge in building and renovations...it's put a strain on suppliers.

Friends waited nine weeks for their new garage doors to be delivered...and the trim they have chosen for their new home has a three month wait time!  We chose from stock that is currently available...and the sales rep placed a Sold sign & our name on the dozens of feet of stock we chose.  Since most pieces are sold in 16 ft lengths...we couldn't take any with us...but our contractor & friend will pick it up (he & Mr. Seventies will be installing all the wood work).  More painting for Mr. Seventies before it gets installed...

I've chosen a couple of new light fixtures as well...this one for the front entry...(as. much as I loved the one I found previously....I refuse to spend over $500 for one fixture)....I love the farmhouse-industrial vibe on this one one I have ordered...


From the underside...crushing on the aged copper look...and Edison bulbs are my thing...

And for the hallway...this fixture.  I wish when we had  pot lights installed in the kitchen...a year or so ago...I had a second ceiling fixture installed in the hallway.  There is only one currently...but you can't bribe an electrician right now...they are all so busy...and as much as Mr. Seventies is capable of installing the necessary electrical...I refuse to allow him to crawl through the attic above.  That is a job for the younger generation!  If sometime in the future we do require electrical work...I may get an additional fixture put in.  For now...this one will work just fine...again with the Edison bulbs.  And I'm loving they are available in a bit more clear...not such a yellow/orange glow....


Depending if the entry light fixture arrives this week...the front entry might be the next painting job on the list.  If the fixture arrives...then Mr. Seventies will have the scaffolding in place to remove the old one and install the new...before he paints.  We are also considering doing the hallway first...as I don't want a freshly painted entryway scuffed when the new furniture is delivered.  In the past...with any furniture delivery...the pieces are required to be lifted up and over the half wall into the family room...there is not enough "turn" space at the top of the front entry stairs and hall.  No one thought of that when they built this seventies split!!

So that is where we are for now.  I'm loving the new paint colours...it's amazing how a bit of paint can transform rooms!  And I'm very lucky Mr. Seventies enjoys painting...and is so good at it.  

The sun is out...the sky is blue...another gorgeous day in the forecast.  Not silly enough to think spring has arrived yet...we still have a lot of winter left yet.  Hope you have an awesome day & stay safe!!


No comments:

Post a Comment