Followers

Tuesday, October 15, 2019

St. Andrews By The Sea

I hope everyone has recovered from too much turkey and pumpkin pie!!  We had a very busy, but fun weekend with my cousins in St. Andrews....a lovely sea side resort town!  Growing up, most summers found me spending time there, swimming, riding bikes, playing softball games....all those things kids do...and I loved spending my summers there with my seven cousins!!

We decided a get together was long overdue...(why is it family usually come together for funerals and weddings?). Well...we had neither this weekend...another cousin motored from Augusta, Maine and joined us in the fun.

We had accommodations at an amazing inn.....Windsor House!  Very old...and full of antiques and our host, Jay was the sweetest inn owner...cooking us breakfast each morning!!

See that window on the left way up on the third floor...that was our room!  It was huge...and extremely comfortable.  Except for the three flights of stairs required to get there!!  Oh, my aching knees!!



Very soft comfortable queen size bed...



Liesel checking things out...Windsor House is very dog friendly....at no extra charge.  There were two beagle pups checked in for a day or two as well!


And I was in in love with  our bath!   


Check out the claw foot tub and sink!!  A-w-e-s-o-m-e!!


And check out that floor tile!! 


Beautiful home away from home!  I highly recommend Windsor House if you plan to visit St, Andrews!   

A beautiful little town with great shops...Scrooge & Marley's is one of my favourite places!  Mr Seventies was given a huge piece of chocolate peanut butter fudge while I browsed. I have two pieces of clothing from the shop...waffle weave top and jacket...


This shop was a first for me...and it did not disappoint carrying gorgeous sweaters knit in Scotland!  I purchased an oatmeal colour cardigan...long zipper closure with pockets and a hood!!  Gorgeous...great for this time of year...I can wear it under a puffer vest or light jacket!



We had to stop and check out the mural on the water tower....


On the outskirts of town is a legendary seafood take out...known as Clamdiggers!!  I promised Mr. Seventies we could enjoy a seafood platter...(so huge...we split one order into two).  I'm usually not a fan of sea food....nor battered deep fried food....but even I couldn't resist the most tender battered clams, scallops and haddock!!  My arteries didn't know what hit them...lol....but it was so worth it!!  It's nothing fancy...but worth every bite!!  (that's Mr. Seventies chatting up a fellow in front of the white vehicle...).  The parking lot was full when we arrived...but they are were able to complete orders pretty quickly...there was an outside eating area set up....most were locals taking orders on the go!




Oh my gosh....and the deer!! Huge problem with deer roaming the town...eating everyone's flowers and vegetation!   Lovely to see....but a huge nuisance!   I think they are pretty smart though....hunting season starts in a couple of weeks...and they cannot be killed in town limits...they aren't stupid!  These are two of about a herd of six that sauntered across the road in front of us...



And see that white one?  That is not an albino deer...but a pie bald deer (tricolour).  There are two to be rumoured in town....this is the smaller of the two we were told...we couldn't get too close...as they would scatter away....


Sunday evening we enjoyed a nice meal at Rossmount Inn....a gorgeous spot just out side of St. Andrews in Chamcook!  Fine dining at it's best....(not that I am a fan of fine dining in the least)...you are paying more for the ambiance and setting...most of the food...we never heard of!  Basically fancy names given to chicken and large hash brown.  It was a lovely evening nonetheless!



This is the New Brunswick Community College...St. Andrews campus!  I graduated years ago...many trips made up and down those hallowed hallways!  The campus hasn't changed much since then!




My cousins are on my Mom's side...children from her two sisters!  All three Mom's have passed on...and one precious cousin, Cindy...gifted each lady with a beautiful cardinal ornament in remembrance of our beloved mothers....it is believed when you are visited by a cardinal it is a reminder of a loved one who has passed on.  

We've never seen cardinals where we live....but I am hoping one will come and I will know for sure one of my loved ones has come to visit.  Such a loving and sentimental gift...I will cherish it for ever. 



It was a wonderful weekend...a great chance to reconnect and catch up...cry a little and laugh a lot!  We drove home yesterday....in a bit of a fog...real fog...


The farther we drove from the Fundy shore...the fog cleared up and the sun came out!


The absolute best part of being away....is coming home!  














1 comment:

  1. I really enjoyed your family reunion blog. What a lovely weekend! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete