Followers

Monday, February 15, 2021

Calm Before The Storm

Happy Monday!!  We have a major weather system coming our way...beginning tonight.  10-15 cm of snow...which isn't much.  We can deal with that.  It's the ice pellets and extended hours of freezing rain that is to come afterwards that puts Islanders on edge.  Freezing rain = power outages.  Over the past number of years...electrical wires and poles have been upgraded...and the city does a great job of keeping trees cut back off the lines...but we have lost our power in previous ice storms.  

A number of years ago...upon moving here...our first winter (rural area) saw us have no electricity, heat or running water for seven consecutive days!   Lines...burdened with ice...toppled over like dominos.   The one and only winter we spent there!  

The reason we installed the propane stove...in the lower level family room...was  fear of power loss. The stove runs without electricity...and provides heat!  We can heat water for tea & coffee on it!!  (very important).  We have leather sofa and love seat with lots of soft cushions and throws, candles, portable radio, batteries and flashlight on standby.  We put the stove in when we had three little dachshunds...in the event we ever had to vacate our home due to no heat...where could we go where dogs would be allowed?  And we'd never leave them...so having a propane stove installed that requires no electricity is a perfect solution...



A couple of winters ago...we hunkered down for over eighteen hours downstairs before the power was restored.  We laid a soft bed on the braided rug for Liesel to snuggle by the warm stove. 
I'm still hoping this messy weather system goes south of us...or comes in rain after the snow...but best to be prepared as much as possible.  I worry daughter & family may loose power...and electricity is their only heat source.  And if road conditions are terrible...they might be unable to get to our home.  Fingers crossed all will be well.  Also charging up our phones, laptops & tablets...

Remember that light fixture I showed a few posts back...that I'm crushing hard on for our front entry?  This one...


Well...I foolishly didn't look at the price!  A whopping $517!!  *thud*!  There is no way I'd pay that price...but that is the price on Amazon.ca.  However....on Amazon.com (US site)...which carries the fixture AND ships to Canada...the price...including shipping and duties...is $175 cheaper!!  Someone explain that to me!!  I'm left scratching my head on this one.  While still pretty pricey...I'm going to mull it around for a while...I have found nothing I love as much as this fixture.  Stay tuned....maybe I can auction off a body part...(jk)...

And sometimes things just don't work out for me...such as this tray I ordered.  Now...to be honest I read the size of the tray in the description...but didn't comprehend the numbers.  So...now I have my trusty tape measure close by...so when sizes are given...I can check out the dimensions before hand.   This tray is a little over 5" wide...way to narrow for what my intended use is.  So...back it goes...and I will search for a larger one to fit my purpose...




I hope everyone had a special Valentine's Day!  As always...Mr. Seventies spoils me...a pretty bouquet of carnations...a beautiful card and gift certificate to my hair salon!  


I gifted Mr. Seventies ta card with two jars of home made Valentine cookies and hot chocolate bombs.  There is a local home business run by a sweet lady & ...she makes a variety of yummy treats!  Always good to support local!  Especially during these trying times...



Have a great day!!  Going to get out and enjoy the sun today...sounds like the next couple of days will be messy!!  Stay safe everyone!





No comments:

Post a Comment