Followers

Thursday, February 25, 2021

Slipcovered Furniture-I'm Over It!!

Did you ever have one of those days...where you feel like you're just spinning your wheels?  I'm sure you have.   I had one of those days this week...

First thing this particular morning...the SUV went in for an oil change.  It was early morning...in & out in less than half an hour.  Then went to pick up Mr. Seventies for an appointment - then dropped him back off at the job site.

And...the slipcovers I dropped off last week were ready for pick up.  Yay!  Happy they were done...swung by and picked them up.  Now I've had these covers done a number of times...and have never had an issue putting them back on...but it took me well over two hours of pulling and stretching...so much so that the back of my hands were red, chafed  & getting sore!!  I'd work for a few minutes...then give up.  I thought I'd wait until Mr. Seventies got home...so I decided to put the cushion covers on. 

And....one of the covers zipper broke!!  Now I'm still hanging with it at this time.  I take the cover and head to the fabric store (where I thought repairs could be taken).  Firstly, when I arrived...there was a sign on the door...you needed an appointment to go in.  I called...advised I wasn't there to shop for fabric...but I needed a zipper replacement.  And was told "they don't do sewing repairs any longer".  But I was free to come into their lobby and check out the various business cards of seam stresses, upholsterers in the area.

While I was browsing the cards...a sweet store clerk came out...and pick a card and recommended a particular seamstress.  Eureka!  I went to my vehicle and called her.  She inquired if I was still at the store & did I have the cover with me?  And...yes to both questions.  She instructed I leave the cushion cover at the store, with my contact information...she had an appointment at the store later in the day & would pick up the cover and replace the zipper.  

Awesome.  Mini crisis averted.  Now back at home...I tackled the covers again.....and again...until I was thoroughly exhausted...and extremely frustrated...and so cranky by then.  The whole room was a mess...I had planned on getting so much done...and it's now mid afternoon...and I was no further ahead. Finally, I was able to get the covers on...but this chick has had it!!  

This was not how it was supposed to be!  Slipcovers were supposed to be so easy...just slip them off & launder them...easy peasy.  No...not easy peasy.  I'm to the point where I hate them...(strong word...I know)...I hate having to either keep them covered or constantly trying to keep them clean.   I surrender! Wave the white flag...

By the time my adoring husband arrived home...(to no supper waiting)...I was a blubbering mess.  Between the furniture...and things needing painting...(walls...mouldings)...it all became overwhelming. With his comforting words and hugs (and take out for supper)... my world is right again.  

So...the conclusion...the slipcovered furniture has to go.  Not sure where yet...maybe daughter wants it for her hubby's man cave...or maybe I'll sell it.  But it is going.  Now...what to replace it with.  I've always been a lover of leather..this one is a possibility...

And there will be no love seat. Of all the most useless pieces of furniture...the love seat has to be high on the list.  I'm thinking maybe a couple of matching soft, comfy chairs...that co-ordinate with leather.  I definitely love the caramel colour..if I decide on leather...that will be the colour.  

Now..the area rug...do I keep it...or replace it?  And paint colours?  The family room looks into the kitchen, the front entry and hallway...so those rooms likely will need to be done as well.  Along with all the mouldings and interior doors.  I haven't decided if they should be replaced or paint the existing...we will need a further conversation on that.  Mr. Seventies will paint any colour I want...I'm thinking black mouldings & doors ...instead of white.  Will have to see what paint colour combos I come up with first. 

I really wanted to hire the painting out...but Mr. Seventies insists he wants to do it.  He loves to paint..so I will attempt to help him.  If I had my way though..painters would be in here...and have it done in half the time.  But if the man wants to paint....who am I to refuse?

I know...some may think me a bit of a drama queen...but our home is my sanctuary.  And I want what I want.  It's a little intimidating getting started...I'll likely bring you along for the ride.  With all the craziness of Covid...and not being able to travel or see family in other provinces close by...I'll be here...nesting instead.  Could think of worse things to do!

Moving on.  Remember that cow photo from the other day?  The one painted on shiplap?  Yes...this one..somehow it meandered it's way to the master bedroom...isn't she pretty?



And...gotta love the Mission Store!  Found perfect toy storage with a $5 price tag...for Liesel's ever growing number of stuffies!  I weeded out the ones that were nothing but shreds...washed & dried a few that were well loved...and tossed in a couple of new ones...much to her delight...


That's been my week in a nutshell.  My plan for today is to spend some much needed time with my daughter and grand baby.  Texting and calling just doesn't work for us most of the time.  We're having a "snow squally" day...which does nothing to uplift the mood.   But loving on my girls sure will. 

Have an awesome day!  And most importantly stay safe....



No comments:

Post a Comment