Followers

Thursday, November 23, 2023

Christmas Quilt Set

Another not so nice day on our fair Isle!  Rain & wind...typical late fall day.  The temperature went below freezing & Mr. Seventies spread salt on the walkways & around the SUV.  I'm not a fan of using it....but it's better than taking a tumble on ice.  We've tried the "pet-safe" brands....but they just do not melt the ice.  We carry Liesel over the salted areas....

I'm loving the Christmas quilt set I ordered a few weeks ago.  I ordered a king size...but could have gotten away with a queen as it is quite oversized.  I'm not purchasing king size pillows for the shams....the set will be on the bed for only a few short weeks....

At bedtime.....I remove the shams & fold the quilt down to the bottom of the bed....


We are having a mouse problem!!  Poor Mr. Seventies has near driven himself crazy...plugging every possible spot he can think where they might get in....to no avail.  Liesel alerted us one evening....she started running around....tracking like mad1. The next morning....there were two pieces of her dog kibble in the middle of the kitchen floor....I left purposely in her bowl.  Convinced we had a mouse....a trap was set that night....and within ten minutes of turning in the for the night....we heard a loud snap!  Mouse #1 gone.  We've managed to rid three more in four nights!  I suspect they are coming in somewhere in the basement and travelling up the chimney.  We set traps on the hearth....and with bait...we've caught four. 

I've contacted a pest control company to come & sort out how they are getting in.  The lack of foxes around now (a mange outbreak depleted the vast majority of them)....we used to see them daily hunting in the empty field behind our house.  They were great natural predators to keep the mouse population under control.....until now.  Mice are looking to get in nice & cozy for winter.   I'm not having it.   Our previous dachshund Schatzi......was our mouser!  She possessed a very high prey drive...and mice were no match for her.  Better than any cat!  Liesel has little prey drive...she was more interested in her bedtime routine to bother hunting a mouse!

In other news...I've been dealing with an arthritic knee for the past five or six years.  I've tried injections & physiotherapy...my orthopaedic doctor advised I will know when the time comes to have a knee replacement.   I've begun having more painful days than good days...so that's telling me it's time.  I've had osteoarthritis in my lower spine all my adult life...medications help with that.  But nothing worked for my knee....and I don't want to spend the rest of my life hobbling & dealing with knee pain.  It's difficult to get out & about....go walking...and deal with pain in general. 

It could likely be a while until I get a call to prep for surgery....my neighbour had one knee replaced last November.....and she is having the other one done as soon as she gets word from the hospital.  Wait times are long....so I felt it necessary to get put on the wait list.  Such is life.

Next week is the Christmas home decorating show...I'm attending with my neighbour & another friend.  We plan to go for dinner first...then head to the show.  It's an evening of fun, laughs and give aways!

That's all the news from here!  I do have to get out Christmas shopping....so have that planned for a day next week!   

Til next time....



 

No comments:

Post a Comment