Followers

Monday, November 12, 2018

Getting Ready for Some Outdoor DIY

It's been kinda quiet here lately...on a personal note I've been dealing with arthritis in one knee.  I've dealt with arthritis in my spine my adult life and with the help of an amazing pain management doctor..I've been able to keep the pain and discomfort under control.   But this knee is proving to be a challenge.  Final course of action will be an injection...later this week.  For more years than I care to remember I took anti inflammatory medication...but can no longer take them.
Keeping my fingers crossed the injection works..and for a few months.  My only other option...is to see an ortho surgeon...which we really don't want to do.

So, with all that in mind...I've been on the down low.

But it's time to turn my attention to prepping for outside Christmas decor.  Remember the cute Christmas cupcakes I had written about?


I found two perfect pots to use and will pick up the expanding foam and spray paint (for the "icing") this week.  The next fine day, Mr. Seventies will fill the pots with small bits of broken concrete (for weight....need that with our winds)...then a good, thick layer of foam can be sprayed.  I purchased a bag of small red Christmas balls at the thrift store...perfect for use as cherries.  Once the foam hardens, since it will likely turn yellow...we will cover the pot & cherry & spray paint it.  This year I am attempting two cupcakes....if they turn out..maybe next year I can put together a couple more! 

Outdoor decor need not cost much money!!  We have an abundance of trees that need trimming...the branches are perfect for pots and wreaths!  This is last year's pot of greenery...using my crock, holly from our own shrubs and ribbon left over from daughter's wedding!  Easy Peasy!!
These are a few of our creations from last year!!


I used a grapevine wreath I had on hand for the base of the this wreath...but when making one for my daughter...I used a pool noodle...shaped in a circle and held together with duct tape!


Again, the greenery, branches and holly were all from our property...and leftover wedding ribbon!  I added a couple of large Christmas balls...and purchased the baby reindeer from a local artisan!  Is it not the cutest thing ever?   He made a couple for his wife...and things just went crazy from there...he had so many orders for them!  And no wonder...they are adorable and take up little room!



I didn't want to hang anything heavy on the outdoor lantern...again with the winds we get...I was a bit scared anything weighing too much could damage the lantern.  Chose to make a small spray instead.


Mr. Seventies put a few concrete pieces in the bottom of my lanterns so the wind would not blow them off the steps....then I added a few balls and more leftover ribbon from the wedding.

This year..I plan to use the Christmas balls I purchased at the thrift shop...a huge haul!!  And I have yards of ribbon (mostly from the thrift store)...Michaels had wired ribbon at 50% off on Saturday....I picked up a black and white buffalo check roll.  Just in case...right?


Other than putting the cupcakes together...we will wait until December to put our outdoor decor together.  It stays green and fresh well into the winter!  

Do you decorate outside for the holidays?  We cover a tree with clear lights, put a spot light on to illuminate the wreath on the front door...and we purchased a laser projector that makes it look like soft snowflakes falling on the front of the house. 


No comments:

Post a Comment