Followers

Monday, November 21, 2022

Road Trip To The Mainland

We had an amazing few days visiting my extended family on the mainland....the weather was sunny but cold....Liesel was ready for a mini getaway!!  She was an excellent traveller....content to look out the window and watch the world go by...


Pulling up to the tolls for the Confederation Bridge...the winds were gusting about 74 km/hr...so it was pretty windy as we were crossing...


There were a few white caps and rolling waves...very happy the days of taking a ferry and dealing with rough waters is long behind us....


And on the bridge...I counted about fifteen tractor trailers crossing to PEI....moving products to us from all over the world.  The winds weren't strong enough to close the bridge to high sided vehicles...but gusty none the less.  As we began our drive across....before we met a steady stream of traffic...


Our first stop was here...in Moncton.  I had a quick meet up with a friend to hand off some goodies I picked up for her....and she is a lover of all things Home Sense as well.  We spent a bit of time checking out some beautiful decor.  Home Sense is very dog friendly....Liesel and "Grace" browsed along with us...



We stopped for a quick bite of lunch afterwards...in the car...(since Liesel was with us)...and then made our way to St. Andrews...a beautiful, small sea side resort where I have a host of cousins we planned to spend a few days with!

Most live in coastal areas...with incredible views....the bay was so calm this day.  We enjoyed watching ducks and seals swim around...


Our sweet hosts have an amazing home...with high ceilings.  Just look at their 16 ft. Christmas tree!!  Gorgeous!!


And look what I spied on to of the cabinets!!  They know of my passion for grip stand bowls...and teased they'd keep a close eye on them!!


My cousin...is an amazing artist!  Check out a few pieces of her Christmas art work!!


I was instantly smitten...and she insisted on gifting me a piece of my choice!  I agreed under the condition I would accept a gifted piece...and be allowed to purchase a second!

My chosen pieces....are these not beautiful?  I cannot wait to choose where to hang them...


One cousin was curling in a ladies bonspiel...we spent an evening at the local curling club...then taking in a meal of delicious fish & chips at a local pub!  The next day three of us gals attended a variety of craft fairs...my only purchase was a set of string mittens for grand baby.  We had such a great time checking out all the local artisan products, baking and giftware. 

While Ron & Liesel hung out with my cousin's husband...we met my nephew and his wife for lunch...before we heading to my home town to take in Christmas at the Station!  The last number of years (with the exception of a couple during Covid)....the huge train station is decorated inside and out for Christmas...and people from miles around come to take in the tour!  I've been wanting to do the tour for quite a while now...and this year the timing was right!  We plan to make it an annual event!!

This train station was a huge part of my life growing up....located very close to my child hood home...and my father was a train engineer.  He drove freight trains...and many times...I accompanied him in the main engine and rode along!   I have wonderful memories of the trains....and spending many hours at the station. 



We had our photos taken on this bench at the entrance of the station!  I will share photos of the rooms decorated for the holiday season in another post!  We caught the tour at just the right time...as it wasn't too crowded (a few bus tours were arriving as we were leaving).  I also ran into people I hadn't seen in some time and spent a great deal of time catching up!  There was also a town craft fair going on.....we managed to squeeze a visit to that as well.  I purchased a t shirt with a train on it...with the number 784 on it!    Which is not a train number...but rather the first three digits of everyone's phone number in town!   I still remember my child hood number!  The things your remember!!  

Be sure and check us out later today at Between Naps on the Porch for  Metamorphosis Monday .

And again on Tuesday at A Stroll Thru Life for Inspire Me Tuesday!!

Thanks for spending your time with me!  We plan to get our outside decorated and lights up this week! And perhaps our tree up this weekend!








1 comment:

  1. It sounds like a fantastic trip you had Charlotte! The pictures you chose are gorgeous and your cousin truly is talented. That tree is magnificent! I'll bet the local fish and chips were delicious too. I've never been out East past Montreal (a very very long time ago) so thank you for sharing all your lovely pictures.

    ReplyDelete