Followers

Monday, January 22, 2024

The Trick To Thrifting

I just  recently realized there is a trick some use when thrift shopping!  I'm more the mosey around the store....browing without any real goal or thoughts in mind to what I'm looking for....or not looking for.  I decided to visit a couple of thrift shops with the goal in mind of how to re-use or repurpose items in my home...and attempt to do it a bit more regularly.....

Sometimes with so much on the shelves....it becomes a blur & I end up leaving empty handed.  This latest visit....I divided (in my mind) each section of shelving.....only looking at a small area of shelves at a time.  It's kind of cool what actually catches your eye....as opposed to glazing over it all!

Thrifting is not meant to be fast paced..... I understand now why it can take a hour or more to really check everything out!  It takes a creative mind to look at an item & know how it can be used in your space...not sure I'm there yet....

As a rule....I don't check out clothing...it's still a bit overwhelming...I think having a specific item  or items you are searching for might work best for me.  My next thrift outing....I'll maybe peruse a couple of aisles of t-shirts...since I need them for working out....

In the meantime....I did find a few things I can repurpose or use as is....this leaf I picked up I'm going to spray paint off white & use in the fall...



This piece is gorgeous....not sure if it's $10 gorgeous....but wow!!  I didn't get it...I drew a blank on where to use it... doesn't really have a place in my home....but maybe styled on a sideboard or coffee table....



I know there are some thrifters who purchase to resell on Ebay, FB Marketplace or Etsy....but that requires a lot more diligence & patience than this old girl possesses...but for those who do...I tip my winter toque to you...

If this had it been a size up it would have been in my cart....the sticker from Stokes was still on the back...originally sold for $9.99 available for $3.00.     I would actually use this for washed berries....set in the refrigerator...however it wouldn't hold a quart so I passed...


I regret not grabbing this little colander....perfect size to wash those small food items...berries....


What was glaringly obvious though....is the price increases in thrift stores!   Most get their items free...I realize there is overhead  (one thrift store has gone fully self checkout, much to my delight)....and another is run by volunteers.....but they are selling used items!   Remember the cookie jar I saw on a previous outing - $99.99!

This hand painted sign caught my eye....I almost got it for the laundry room...but it was a but more rustic than I was looking for....it would have worked all the same....price was not to my liking....


These gorgeous pieces...I know there are collectors of this stoneware pattern....just not me.  I've always loved this pattern....and the prices were very reasonable....no chips or signs of wear...


I found this adorable unicorn basket & picked it up for our little unicorn....$3.99.....still bearing the original price tag of $12.99....


And look what I came across in another thrift store....for double the price....and looking a bit worn...


My best score....was this tart warmer...complete with bulb for $6.00!  The bulb alone is $5.00 and it's already in use on my counter.  You know I love me a tart warmer!!


I came across this shelf...whoever painted it did wonderful work.  I see tole painting coming back around...some were obsessed with it here!  I tried my hand at it...being my own worst critic & it requires a bit of skill & patience...neither of which I'm overly blessed with....


I'm kicking myself for not picking up the pitcher on the left!  Or both of them for that matter....I may just have to revisit the store & see if either are still available....both were in perfect condition!  I use pitchers in the summer months for cold drinks...some I prefer have covers.  These were priced at $3.00 and $4.00.....


After thrifting I picked up this adorable unicorn bedding set at Home Sense for grand baby's bed .....she will have magical dreams....


I decided to order this piece from Amazon....it is due to arrive tomorrow!  It looks so comfy & the reviews were great...it comes in a variety of colours...I chose the one shown here....



The weather is still cold here....and a few days of snowy conditions.  Not major storms yet...very happy to report!  We had an enjoyable visit and meal of home made baked beans with Mac & cheese with daughter and family....Grampie & grand baby did some dobber painting....(activity new to us...).....

We've chosen a contractor to strip the popcorn ceilings, repair any damaged gyproc & paint them....so happy to have that lined up for late April-early May!  Been doing my happy dance....cannot wait to get this project underway....and completed....

As always please join me at the following link parties....https://betweennapsontheporch.net/ for Metamorphosis Monday.

And again tomorrow with Marty at https://www.astrollthrulife.net/ for Inspire me Tuesday and Lyndsey over at https://perfectlyimperfect-lwl.com/ for her link party Happy Hearts & Home......

So happy you chose to spend your time with me today...thanks so much for stopping by!   Til next time.....





6 comments:

  1. Thrifting is always a crapshoot, lol. That shelf looks to be custom made for the homeowner depicted...why on earth would you let it go? Fun stuff, Sandi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sandy!! Thrifting is fun, right? And I thought the shelf was beautiful....the things that end up in thrift stores always makes me curious!

      Delete
  2. Charlotte, I had no idea there was a trick to thrifting! I don't go that often because the location is not that convenient, but yes, when I do, I always in a hurry it seems. And maybe that is why I don't have much luck lol. The unicorn basket is darling for your grandbaby and so is the bedding set from Home Sense. I hope you like the piece from Amazon and what wonderful news about the popcorn ceilings. Our weather has been awful here but it may start to warm up tomorrow. Stay warm and cozy over there my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kim!! I hope you get a chance to thrift a bit more....maybe find something you didn't know you need...lol! I hope all is well with you....I saw where the weather has been terrible there....turning cold again here today! Have an awesome day my friend!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello! I just found your blog. Good post. I love thrifting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jeanne - and welcome!! Nice to have you hear....I plan to go thrifting again....so stay tuned!!

      Delete