Followers

Monday, June 25, 2018

New Slipcover

When a flyer arrived in the mail 3-4 years ago from a furniture store from the eastern part of the province...the front page displayed the very slipcovered pieces I had been longing and searching for!  In other parts of the world, slip covered furniture had been available for ages...due in part to Ikea I suspect.  But at that time, there was no Ikea store in the Maritimes...until about a year ago when one opened up in Nova Scotia.

After a quick trip to the furniture store....only to discover they only had the sofa in stock...and it, the love seat and chair would need to be ordered.  At the time...I wanted a neutral colour...so I chose the off white covers.  Then I waited patiently for almost 8 weeks for everything to arrive.

I have been extremely happy with the furniture itself...the covers...not so much.   The first piece to show wear is the chair...the stitching has let go along the top behind the back cushion...and the piping on the arms is really showing wear.  So, time to have a new cover made.  I'll start with the chair...and decide on the sofa and love seat at a later time.

Finding a seamstress has proven challenging.  One awesome lady is more than happy to ... but with one catch.  You need to deliver your chair to her location....which is outside the city.  As awesome as her work is...as she made slipcovers for my daughter's sofa and love seat...their furniture was gone for two months while she sewed them!  Since my current cover is available, it should be pretty simple to make a new cover using it as a template.  But that suggestion was turned down.
So..I kept looking....

I spoke with a local gal who has a sewing business...however I did not find her very helpful...as I have a specific look in mind...and she was showing me dark, tweed like fabric.  And customer service skills were lacking...as I did not have her undivided attention...she kept leaving me to answer her phone....and when a guy came in to pick up a sail she had repaired...she walked away from me and got into a lengthy discussion with him about recovering cushions on his boat!   She pushed a piece of paper in my hand, with a website for fabrics and her business card...and that was about it!  Oh...and the cover would take two months before it would be ready.  And a $35 home visit fee was required for her to "look" at the chair.

So much for shopping local!  Well...I tried.  I contacted a wonderful lady on line...who was so helpful and when I shared my vision..she loved it!   We spoke on the phone for at least 30 minutes!  And I can pack up my current chair and seat and back cushion covers and send them off to her...and she can use them for a template no problem!  (since I'd have to spend $35 for a local visit...I can send my cover by Courier for about the same cost or less).

Since I'm a huge fan of Waverly fabrics...these are my picks...for the seat and back cushions...




For the skirt....


And canvas navy for the body of the chair and the piping....




If the chair looks half as amazing as I think it will...I'm considering matching slipcovers for the sofa and love seat as well! 

Mr. Seventies had planned to stain the front steps on Saturday...but rain was forecast for Sunday and today (need a few good days for the stain to cure) ....  so he gave the back door a fresh coat of paint after a good wipe down to remove any dirt and dust.  


I can't believe this weekend is Canada Day weekend!  And we don't even have the pool repaired...much less up and running!  In a "normal" season...it would be operational on Victoria Day weekend in May...and we would usually be swimming by the end of June.  Not going to happen this year.  Somewhere I saw a prediction we are supposed to have a hot, dry summer...I think that crystal ball was cloudy!  

Motoring to Nova Scotia later in the week..our oldest granddaughter is graduating high school!  I can't even believe where the years have gone!  Looking forward to seeing her walk across the stage and receive her diploma!



No comments:

Post a Comment