Followers

Thursday, June 21, 2018

Osteoarthritis

Little off topic...but let's talk arthritis.  When most people think or talk about arthritis...they consider it an "old person's" issue.  And that is just not the case.

My struggle with osteoarthritis in my back began when I was still in my teens...although it took many years for a diagnosis and pain treatment.  For many years I was prescribed anti-inflammatories...and I used every available treatment at my disposal.  Physiotherapy, acupuncture, aqua fitness, massage therapy, over the counter pain mediation and injections...all which helped short term.

My previous doctor advised there was nothing more could be done.  After living and coping with chronic pain all my adult life...and reaching the point where I could no longer cope...our doctor retired and his predecessor is an amazing, caring and compassionate physician.  When discussing my medical situation he informed me, that we did in fact...have options.

My doctor explained fully my condition (which is genetic) and how severe and progressed the arthritis was.  He referred me to the Pain Management Centre..and after a few trials and tribulations with various pain meds...I finally saw positive results with one in particular.  For the most part...I now live a pain free life.  Living with chronic pain is exhausting...difficult enough when you are younger...but as I got older...life became unbearable.

Then my left knee starting giving me severe pain.  I went for x rays...and no surprise...my knees is arthritic as well.  Due to a heart issue...I cannot take anti-inflammatories.  I did some physio for a while, I keep walking to keep the knee lubricated...and when the pool is operational...the water will be a huge help.  During the winter months...I plan to join a local gym...where I can use the heated indoor pool and stationary bike...both recommended to help.

I also ordered a tens machine on Amazon...this one in fact.  It has great reviews..so what do I have to lose?  It arrived a couple of days ago...I've been using it twice daily.

 Everything needed comes in a nice zippered pouch...and it is super easy to use.  The pads themselves are re-useable...I also ordered 16 replacement pads...as they do lose their adhesiveness over time. 


So far, I am really pleased with it's performance.  And it is helping...my knee feels better today.   Some private insurance companies cover the purchase of a Tens machine...ours does not.  But it is a medical expense and can be claimed at tax time.  So there is that.  

And totally switching gears here...how adorable is this dachshund quilt?  A talented seamstress in Newfoundland quilted it..and I am the lucky person to purchase it!  The quality of workmanship is total perfection.  


Did I mention I gifted my daughter the quilt?  Not only is she a dachshund Mama...but she and her husband do plan to bless us with a grand baby someday...and won't this look amazing in a nursery?  Or even just as a keepsake!


No comments:

Post a Comment