Followers

Thursday, November 4, 2021

Christmas Tree Decor

Mr. Seventies & I spent an afternoon sorting through our Christmas decor and stash!  (more on the real reason why in a few minutes...).   He has mentioned wanting to do this for a while now....and I admitted it caused me great anxiety.  Not sure why...but I had a hinky feeling about it.   But we were free the other afternoon...it seemed like a good time to...to "see what we have"......as Mr. Seventies kept saying.

Turns out...we have no or very little decor for the Christmas tree!!!  It appears...and there has been no admission of guilt...that a "few" boxes may have inadvertently been sent either to the thrift store...or Superior Sanitation (handles our waste, recyclables, etc).  Which is why I suspect the urgency to sort through our totes and boxes...rather than wait until we are putting up the tree...and I discover then the lack of decorations!  Again...no admission from a certain guilty party...but it was all fine with me.

The few sentimental items were still safe....and a few of my tree picks survived the previous cull.  Which...I admit without guilt...I am not a sentimental person!  For years I felt guilt and somehow cruel for not feeling what I perceived most people to be....sentimental.   I'm just not.  I have a few items passed on or given to me that I cherish...and other things...I feel I should cherish....but don't.  I am who I am.  Could explain why three boxes of Christmas decor landed in our daughter's garage for them to enjoy...and three+ boxes were dropped off at the thrift store after we finished sorting through everything.  I plan to decorate the house very little...it's a lot of work...and time consuming..I'd rather sit back & enjoy the minimal beauty...and ease of cleaning!

So...all that being said...I spent an evening scrolling through a couple of local websites to see what was available and what direction I want to go.   And I had a few hours to myself to do some shopping for our tree....and this is some of what I have picked up so far.   Of course...a few dachshunds will adorn the tree...I'm going to pick up a few more...



And a look in my cart at my haul....there's Mrs. Claus gingerbread cookie heads...sprinkled donuts and ice cream cones...difficult to see in the right corner...but they are twisted wrapped candy....a container of gorgeous pink shatterproof balls...and four strands of felt garland...



Another view of my findings....I"m pretty sure four stands of garland will be enough for our tree...



Then I headed to Wal Mart...and although seriously lacking in Christmas decor...I did pick up a few things.  The first thing I saw was this adorable table runner...and at a great price...I don't have a holiday runner...so purchased it.



I'm going to be decorating my tiered tray...so picked up a few items I think will look adorable....I love the little lantern...and how it can be turned on to light up!




I think I mentioned previously I plan to do a Christmas coffee/tea/hot cocoa area on my counter top.   I'm keeping my eyes open for a small coffee/cocoa bar sign to set up along with it....I came across one. so far ....but thought it over priced.  

I did come across cute Santa dachshund mugs....but I have so many dachshund mugs....I decided not to purchase any further pieces....even though $2.99 is a great price!!



And the last thing I saw...which almost drew me in...was this adorable gnome!  And his feet light up!  Precious!  But....I admired him on the shelf and walked away.  For now...




I was exhausted after two hours of shopping...so called it quits.  Today is another day & there are still items I'm searching for...such as a tree topper.  I don't think my top hat topper will suffice this year...so will see what else I come up with.  There are still many stores to check out...and I do need more decorations for our tree...and I will open up my Rae Dunn order...and I received an order of amazing candles from Bath & Body Works I have yet to go through.

Cute story....Wal Mart had their Halloween Bo-Bo's on for half price.  I picked up two for Liesel...one to give her now...and the other to tuck away.  I gave her the Skelton one...and she played happily...when after a few minutes...I heard the worst crying & whaling coming from down the hall...I was sure she must have hurt herself somehow!!

Smart little tyke she is!  I had set my shopping bags in my vanity room....on the floor.  She had pushed open my door with her snout (the door is kept partly closed to keep her out of there...away from the carpeting)....and had her little head shoved in one shopping bag in particular....and found the second Bo-Bo!!  I had no choice but to give it to her!   She is one very happy Bo-Bo loving wiener!  



In other news..the auger (feeds pellets into the pellet stove)...make a terrible grinding noise & quit feeding pellets!  Now...in my mind...this was good news.  As this will be the last year for the pellet stove...it has served us well...but it will be switched out for a propane insert before next winter!  

When I suggested this might be a good time sooner rather than later....Mr. Seventies claimed we have too many bags of pellets in our furnace room to use up.  A call is in to the repairman...so until we hear from him...we are unable to run the stove & the furnace has been called into service.  Mornings & evenings are much cooler now.

Thanks so much for stopping by today!  Join me again...as my hunt for tree decor continues!   Have an awesome day!

1 comment:

  1. I love all the goodies you found to decorate with. Especially those colorful garland and the runner. That will definitely not go out of style.

    ReplyDelete