Followers

Wednesday, July 20, 2022

A Tale Of Two Curtain Panels

I'm happy to report the curtain panels arrived!  After a bit of sleuthing & chatting with Canada Post..I suspect the panels were not actually made in Canada...but rather China.  It appears they were shipped within Canada...via a warehouse in Toronto.  But first...they were required to clear customs arriving from China...then make their way to Toronto & then me. Explains the three week plus delivery time!!

Burst my vision of a seamstress lovingly stitching them in her sewing room!  Very misleading to the consumer...but it may very well be a common practice with sellers on Etsy.  

Anyways...the panels did arrive and they are amazing quality & the fabric is beautiful.  Now here is where things went sideways on me.  Mr. Seventies was installing them....and we discovered they were way too long!!   If he raised the curtain rod up almost to the ceiling....the finials couldn't be screwed on the rod.  What had I done wrong??

Turns out...I ordered the wrong length!  Talk about a brain bubble!! The panels should have been 90" in length...and they turned out to be 95"!  What was I thinking at the time?  I'm usually not that careless.    I was so annoyed with myself...but not defeated.

I took the panels...and headed to a local fabric shop where they keep list of names & contact info for available seamstresses in the area. I was given three names...and one seamstress in particular was highly recommended.  I gave her a quick call, happy to hear she lived close by.... and I could drop the panels off for hemming!  

They would require hemming to 90"  for them to just touch the floor, while having the curtain rod 4" down from the ceiling and 3" out from the window frame.   When I dropped them off, she not only charged me just $20 to hem both panels....she had them ready that afternoon!!   Once I retrieved them, Mr. Seventies installed the curtain rod hardware at the correct height and spacing.  Please forgive the patch job above the rod...it has now been sanded....and ready for paint touch up.  Our failed attempt to hang the panels hung at the right height....pre-hemming.  It was also dark & raining heavily outside...so lighting is not the best...



I planned to use a red toile quilt set on the bed, however it appeared quite "red".... as opposed to the cranberry colour of the panels....and the two colours clashed.  I went through my stash...and came across this quilt set from Anthrolopologie and it's a perfect match!!


I cannot tell you how relieved and happy I am to have this little project finally completed!  We are having company in August & I wanted the room put together in time.  I hope to pick up a few decorator cushions...and have ordered a couple of unique lamps from a local shop.   I like things that are different...and these lamps are definately that!! 


We are back into high temps and sun after a wet & windy day yesterday.  I took advantage of the warm weather  a couple of days ago & picked a bouquet of lavender and a bunch for daughter as well.   Lavender is a such a soothing and relaxing scent....



So there we have the tale of two curtain panels!   We are back into warm temperatures for the next few days....we are loving this weather!  We've run the air conditioning a couple of times...as a rule our house stays quite cool until about supper time into early evening.  

I'm so glad you dropped by....how is your summer going?  We are getting just the right amount of heat...and rain showers....with a couple of thundershowers tossed into the mix.  Have an awesome day wherever you are today!  

No comments:

Post a Comment