Followers

Monday, May 29, 2023

Let's Catch Up

Another busy weekend come and gone!  It was hot and windy yesterday....turned on the cooling system for the first time....now today...we have heat on!  It's still very windy - gotta love weather in PEI!!  There are forest fires burning in New Brunswick....where three cousins and their families have been evacuated.  And in Nova Scotia...Mr. Seventies brother & wife and their son & wife and dog have all been safely evacuated...with homes in their subdivision lost!  Our thoughts and prayers are with them, as they keep us updated.  And Liz...if you're reading this...know we love & are thinking of you all!

The pool is officially opened...this wind is blowing so much dirt and debris around!  But it is time to get the water circulating and cleaned up.  Today I will drop a water sample off for testing, pick up what I need to get the water balanced and begin the weekly maintenance for the next three months...

And Mr. Seventies completed the privacy wall on the small deck!  Seems like every person here was in Home Depot over the weekend...the store was a complete zoo!  We are fortunate to have two hardware stores within 3 kilometres from our home though...

The beginning.....removing the existing posts and decorative lattice pieces....



Everything looks kind of gross right now... a work in progress...these posts were removed & new ones put in their place...sounds easy...but time consuming...



New, higher posts to accommodate the higher wall pieces....identicial to the pool deck walls...



And the final product...keep in mind...this is pressure treated lumber (along with a couple of re-used pieces)...which can't be stained until next year (it is treated to prevent rot and protection from the elements)...it needs a full season to cure.  This small deck was built in 1995...and in all that time...only one floor board has required replacing.  The steps were replaced...but the deck is pretty much original decking....

I know...she's in her ugly stage...but once stained...and a couple of outdoor decor pieces hung...she will "pretty up".  The wicker love seat will sit in front of the wall as well...


Now that construction is completed...once we get suitable weather...we will begin staining both decks and steps...along with touching up a few spots of the previously stained walls....

And my gorgeous wreath arrived!!  I didn't have the heart to put this beauty on the front door...in the elements...it will get ruined!  The heat from the sun alone will fade it terribly...and I just can't let that happen.  So...I hung it in the front entry...



As the entry is narrow in this Seventies Split...it's difficult to get decent photos...unless I hang from the ceiling!  But I got the best I could...isn't it gorgeous??  Quality workmanship is amazing ...and it arrived within a few days...I'll be ordering again for sure!!  The seller plans to make poppy wreaths for Remembrance Day...and I've been wanting one...and a fall wreath...and a Christmas one....and so on....


I hung this little wreath on the front door for the time being....and placed a large lantern on the steps.  I attempted to find wired ribbon to make a bow for the lantern...and Michael's had not one roll of pretty, summer ribbon!!  I guess I could have used mesh ribbon...but I'll keep looking and hope to find something I like.  As I mentioned before, summer is not my favourite decor season...


I near fainted in Home Depot from sticker shock at the prices of spray paint!!  Rustoleum spray...which used to sell for approximately $11.99 a can (and even then it was over priced)....now is a whopping $22.99 a can!!  I stood with my mouth open....I was dumbfounded!!  I certainly wasn't going to pay that inflated price...so opted for a couple of cheaper cans for $9.99 each.  Still Rustoleum paint...but without the trigger type sprayer.  

Even with the winds....I gave the lamp post a couple coats of paint...and will do another when the temps warm up and the winds subside.  This is how it is currently looking.......cheaper than replacing it.  It works fine...we seldom have it on...so until it quits working...I'll continue to give it a fresh look every couple of years.  A work in progress....





We enjoyed an evening at the movies...our theatre has been closed since the storm last fall.  Damages were massive...but now it's all brand new and beautiful!  It was nice to enjoy an evening out! Later in the week we have a retirement party at a local pub to attend and I have a number of errands to run!

And since it's Monday...my favourite day....join us at Between Naps on the Porch for Metamorphosis Monday.
I love checking out what other bloggers are up to....I hope you do as well!

A huge thank you for spending some time with me today!    Until next time friends....



3 comments:

  1. Charlotte, your wreath is beautiful and I wouldn't put it outside either! The sun just trashes things. I'm so sorry to hear about the fires - I was so hoping you would escape them in your neck of the woods. I hope your family and friends are okay Our fires here are still burning away and its been super dry and very windy here too. Your deck is taking shape and how lovely that the pool is open. I hope you can enjoy it soon. Take care over there my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are under a "no burn order" here...no fire pits or campfires..that sort of things. It's very dry and windy here too. Our familys in NS and NB are not able to return to their homes....or know if they still have homes. Such a horrific situation. I pray the fires out there are soon under control...I hope you stay well my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the wreath too.

    ReplyDelete