Followers

Thursday, May 25, 2023

Small Addition to Pool Deck Wall

When we were paw-rents to three little dachshunds....outside ramps were necessary to shuttle them in and out.  The ramp leading from the small deck was removed a while back....and now the one from the pool deck to the back yard has been removed.  Mr. Seventies originally built the ramps to assist our dogs (who all suffered back issues and surgeries back then) to make it easier for them (and us) to get them in and out of the house.

With it came time to do maintenance to the remaining ramp...we decided it was no longer required.  We carry 13 pound Liesel up and down the steps...with arthritis in her front legs...it was a challenge for her to scurry up the ramp anyways....

Removing the ramp....meant Mr. Seventies had to close the opening where the ramp led to the back yard....(these photos are not pretty by any means....but necessary renovations)...please pardon the chipped deck and steps from winter wear.  I'm picking up stain today so we'll be ready to get them looking fresh and clean....and will be spray painting the stars.  Mr. Seventies is going to construct a new gate to close off the steps for safety & privacy and another at the end of the ped way to keep Liesel from gaining access to the pool deck during the summer months.

The floor gets too hot for her paws....and she is never outside without us.  Hurricane Fiona you may recall ripped off one of the pool deck doors...so it's a perfect time to construct new ones....and they won't need to be as wide...


Since this is pressure treated lumber (for outdoor use)....it needs to "cure" for one season before we can stain it.  That has been the general rule....but I'm going to inquire at the hardware store if that is still the case....

And this end area of the small deck...will be taken off....and a privacy wall (exactly like the pool deck walls) will be built.  There are three new houses off to the left of the photo as well...and the empty field...including where the trees go up a slope....will all be developed in time.  Weather permitting, getting started on the wall is Mr. Seventies next project...once the pool is opened (likely next week) and we get the deck & step staining done there...   


These are photos of the window boxes with a couple of fresh coats of paint.  This is the actual, true colour...


Yet, when the back door received two coats of the exact same paint...it casts a different shade.  The photo was taken later in the day....I think lighting is why it looks different.  I'm still in love with the colour...


And my new obsession?  These storage containers found on Amazon!  They are amazing...and come nine in a pack.  With labels that you can re-use!  I have them filled already with nuts, flax seed, oatmeal, almonds, raisins & dried cranberries....along with baking soda and powder.  I'm considering ordering another set.  I love to shop at Bulk Barn, where goods are sold by weight and I can scoop as much or as little as I need!  And rather than have bags with twist ties in the cupboard....I have everything stored and at my fingertips....(photo from Amazon site)....



And since I passed on my sunflower cushion covers to daughter....these one are arriving today.  I ordered them 20"x20" even though the cushions are 18"x18".  I prefer a little bit of give to plump up my feather cushions...we'll see if it works out for me.  These ones, in ivory were described as being a very soft, velour type fabric...


And went a bit funky on an additional set...that's the best part about using cushion covers...you don't actually have to buy the cushion!  I have about six sets of feather cushions...so I can play around as much as I want.  And with Amazon Prime...if I don't like them...I can send easily send them back!


I've mentioned how this is not my favourite time of year for home decor!  I popped into Home Sense on my way home from Bulk Barn the other day...and left with nothing.  Everything in the store is geared towards outdoor patio ware...ugly (in my opinion) outdoor cushions....and Asian or cottage inspired decor...everywhere!

Neither of which I am a particular fan of.  No offence to anyone that is...it's just not for me.  I've never understood the "coastal" vibe or look...unless you live by the coast or have a cottage!  Can you tell I'm not a beach person either...lol!!

Showers in the forecast for the next couple of days.  Good day to do some grocery shopping and putter around the house.  Mr. Seventies found portering at the hospital...too much for him.  Especially twelve hour back to back shifts and running non-stop to various locations in the hospital.  He enjoyed the people...but not being on his feet and on the run continually.  He still loves to work with our contractor & neighbour....and they are particular now about which jobs they take on...as they are not young pups any more!  Don't tell them I said that....

So until next time.....have an awesome rest of your day!!








No comments:

Post a Comment