Followers

Monday, June 12, 2023

Thrift Finds and Catch Up

Happy Monday!  The sun is out...and it's going to be warm the next couple of days!  The staining of the decks will depend on the long range forecast.  Mr. Seventies had replaced a number of pool deck floor boards...and constructed a small gate at the end of the ped way....to keep Liesel on the small deck when not in the pool with us.  I've mentioned before how hot the pool decking gets....and we don't want her paws getting scorched....

I happen to notice the seal had let go in one of the windows in the guest bedroom.  It''s easy to spot...as the window will appear foggy.  The windows are sealed with argon gas for energy efficiency...or they were when we had them installed in 1995!  Sometimes....for whatever reason...the seal lets go...and you get the foggy effect on the glass.  This is the fourth window that has required new glass.....


We've replaced the glass in one window in the smallest bedroom, the main bath, a kitchen window...and now this one.  Mr. Seventies removed the interior shutter...and took the window out...placed it in the back of the SUV and while out running errands....I stopped into the glass shop...


They measure for the glass...I take the window home...Mr. Seventies pops it back in...and in a few weeks we will get a call to take the window back in... the old glass will be removed...and a new piece installed,  Since windows are of every dimension...they don't keep all sizes on site. Once measured, the replacement glass is ordered...our windows are small so it is not a huge job to remove them.  For larger windows...the glass place will come work on site and do repairs and replacements of any windows too big to take out.  I think the cost to replace one small window is about $108 or so....worth it... as having foggy or unclear windows...is annoying...and not pretty to look out...

I decided to pop into the Mission Store (thrift shop)....after the glass shop...it's a great spot to get stuffed toys for Liesel....and cheaper than any pet store...

Remember I mentioned a few posts back I was looking for a glass pitcher for mixing cold drinks?  Well I found this beauty....for $5.00!


And a couple of vases...I have an idea...still formulating my plans...


These are a couple I picked up...at great prices....


And my idea involves this bottle of clear glue!  You'll have to stay tuned and see if my idea comes to life.  I may want to use one for fall decor....and the other for Christmas....


Besides finding a couple of toys for Liesel to love on....I thought this tray (for $1.00) would be great for my coffee/tea set up at Christmas!  Since I have snowman shaped mugs....this will be perfect.....


Do you remember the cushion covers I ordered a couple weeks back?  I'm not sure what I was thinking...but peeps.... these were so ugly!  And Liesel was actually terrified of them!  Mr. Seventies called them Thing 1 and Thing 2!!  I sent them back asap...talk about a lapse in judgement...yep....I have them more often than not!!


Their replacements arrived a few days later....much nicer and I love the quality...the buttons are for decoration....under the flap is a zipper.  These cushions are 18"x18"....but the 20" x 20" size fit much nicer.  I set them on the chair...mainly to deter Liesel from jumping up and barking at imaginary outside noises....


And if you've ever wondered what 4 yards of black mulch looks like....hear ya go...this is just load 1 of 2...the second one to be delivered at a later date.  The delivery truck can only handle 4 yard loads...so that works out fine for Mr. Seventies...


He was a busy beaver....completing spreading in one day!  You'd never know there was a huge pile of black mulch on the driveway in the morning....and spread out in a couple of gardens by later in the afternoon.  First top up was the side garden...any large brown areas you see....are new patches of grass sown...where trees used to be....not much colour in the gardens yet...peonies are just about ready to bloom....




And enough to get a start around the pool deck....next mulch load will finish it and the front gardens.....




And along the back walkway.  Rather than having a bed of perennials (other than hosta)....Mr. Seventies chose to plant a few Impatiens annuals.  And those ugly pipes...are used to pump fuel into a tank in the basement (which we don't use).  You are not allowed to paint the pipes....as there is a metal tag secured on the pipes that states date of last inspection.   Some places heat with natural gas....which is not available on our Island...before heat pumps...oil and wood were the main sources of heating homes.   Anyhow....ugly pipes it is...


This bleeding heart....in the pool deck garden...is half pink-half white....


These are only a couple of Bleeding Heart perennials...there are at least one or two more in the gardens...


Still so much outside work to do...but it's coming.  Mr. Seventies is checking off his "To Do" list really quickly though...

Daughter is recovering from surgery...still sore and unable to lift.  She will be home from work the next couple of weeks...I'll visit with her today.....and care for grand baby after supper while her Daddy is a referee at a game....

That's it for me for now...thanks for hanging out with me today and remember later to check out Between Naps on the Porch for the blog party on  Metamorphosis Monday .

Til next time.....

4 comments:

  1. Charlotte, oh my - what a lot of mulch

    ReplyDelete
  2. Charlotte - oh my. What a lot of mulch! Hubs must be superman to get all that spread in one day! The yard is looking great though and the bleeding hearts are lovely. Glad your daughter is recovering from her surgery. Those were some interesting finds from the Mission Store and I can't wait to see what you do with them. Happy Monday my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pretty glass finds and I bet I know what you're going to do with that clear glue and vases :) By the way, I found your post at a party and wanted to let you know that I host parties too. Drop by and linkup with me :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dee! Thanks for stopping by & the invite to your linkup parties! Will definately check them out!!!

      Delete