Followers

Monday, July 15, 2019

A Little Off Topic

Hope you had a great weekend....it was very hot and humid yesterday!  We had a thundershower last evening...not something we get a lot.  Today is cooler and showers in the forecast...

I'm sharing my latest love (ok, obsession).   We have an amazing artist on the Island who makes reborn dolls.  So, what is a reborn doll?

A reborn doll is a manufactured doll that has been transformed, by an artist, to resemble a human infant as much as possible.  The process of creating a reborn doll is referred to as "reborning" and the artists are referred to as "reborners".

Up until a few months ago, other than seeing the dolls in magazines or sites like Bradford Exchange....I was unaware of reborn dolls.   For clarity's sake...these dolls are not play toys for children...but collectors items for people...such as myself...who love dolls.

Reborn dolls also bring comfort to mothers who have suffered a loss...through miscarriage, still born or any loss that may have occurred.  Even empty nest Moms find great comfort when collecting reborn dolls.

I knew, after meeting the amazing and loving artist and purchasing a reborn for my youngest daughter...that I would be a collector of reborns!    I'm pleased to introduce Jaycee....all pretty in pink!

She weighs 5 lbs. 6 oz., so she is pretty tiny!  She came with a certificate of authenticity,  beautiful card and gift bag with two outfits, hair bows...even a soother (which is magnetic to keep it in place against the mouth).  Now, I ask you....how can you not love this precious creation?
She was a collector's gift from me to my youngest daughter...to bring her comfort.  (My grand dog, Benson loves her...and kisses her head!). Jaycee looks and feels just like a live baby...


So what is a grandmother to do?  Why, obtain her own reborn doll!  Few people are aware I have loved dolls my entire life. Growing up, each Christmas I was gifted a beautiful doll.  My Mom's friends would visit to see what doll I received!  

I introduce you to my first reborn Irelyn Marie...(I'm partial to redheads, my grand daughters are gingers)...



I checked her out for days...hoping her Mama was out there...waiting to take her home.  Most reborn dolls are private orders...sold as they are being created. Buyers can choose hair (if hair is desired....each hair is rmeticously rooted...which takes hours and hours of work). If open eyes are preferred, you can choose the eye colour, eyelash colour, whether a girl or boy reborn is desired, preferred clothing colour,  the detail that goes into each doll is incredible.  The artist works from a blank head, body parts and body kit...and the dolls are brought to life.

So, I have shared my dark side, lol!  Oh...and did I mention Irelyn is one of two that I have chosen.  She and Summer Rain should be completed tomorrow...I'll post photos when they both arrive. 




No comments:

Post a Comment