Followers

Monday, September 23, 2019

A Start to Outside Fall Decor

After a warm, summer like weekend...complete with apple picking...the calendar says we are now officially into fall.  And I am so ready!  The smells of fall are intoxicating...pumpkin spice and strong earthy scents.

And a start to fall means...apple picking!  Mr. Seventies and I loaded Liesel into the SUV and headed to a local U Pick....Wintermoor Orchard.  Since being empty nesters...we don't need an abundance of apples and sadly my favourite MacIntosh variety....were not ripened.  Growing up...we did not have the assortment or varieites available now...and there is nothing like a crunchy MacIntosh in my opinion.  Liesel was buckled safely in her car seat for the short road trip!


The last number of years we have enjoyed Wintermoor Apple Orchard...it's a short drive...and they have beautiful grounds and plenty of parking. There is even an area set up for little ones to play with various toys, picnic tables...decorated with pumpkins and scarecrows.



Having to watch my blood sugars...I sadly can no longer bake pies or apple crisps...but am able to enjoy fresh applesauce stewed in the slow cooker!  And it is delicious...could never go back to eating store bought applesauce.  Our little pumpkin took a break on one of the benches...and enjoyed a cold drink...


And met a friend...her name was Lola (now get that song out of your head...lol)...she's a gorgeous red girl....


Since the MacIntosh wasn't ready for picking...the orchard owner recommended William's Pride as the next best thing...and excellent for eating and making applesauce.  Mr. Seventies didn't need to pick very long before our bag was full..(you can just see a little wiener head on the bottom left of the photo...)


A fresh batch of applesauce was stewing slowly in the crockpot not long after we arrived home.  Not only did the house smell amazing....the applesauce was delicious!

Remember when I somehow ripped a hole in my leather bag?  The amazing creator repaired it, free of charge...and dropped it off!  If you search Janie Nicole Leather on Etsy...her site will come up.  

Before...


And after...she did advise me she was required to make the bag smaller to rework and stitch it good as new...it is quite a bit smaller.  In all honesty...it probably was the size I should have chosen in the first place!  It fits my essentials, wallet, cell phone and keys.  I don't carry a heavy, suitcase like bag.  I know some women carry their life in their bags....I am not one of those women!

I continue to be baffled as to how and when I ripped my bag in the first place...but am very happy to have it back and very much useable.  Maybe down the road...I may purchase another style of bag...she is an amazing artisan and delivers an exceptional product...



I thought it time to get my lanterns done up...after the hot summer months...I had brought them inside and gave them a thorough cleaning...and tossed in some dollar store pumpkins and pine cones...easy peazy...



I brought out my EZ Bowmaker...and voila...lanterns completed.  Mr. Seventies bought me two potted Mums...gave some pretty fall colours to the front step.  We still need to pick up a pumpkin or two...he does a display every year using our corn stalks, a small bale of straw, another Mum and a few squash from the garden....


As a rule...we get lots of wind in the fall months...whatever goes outside needs to be heavy enough or able to be secured to withstand the gusts.  If strong winds are forecast...we bring in the flowers and lanterns....rather than have them blow off the step.

Cloudy and overcast here today...with a rainfall warning in effect for overnight and tomorrow.  Have an awesome day wherever you are enjoying fall!!









No comments:

Post a Comment